UK Holiday & Travel Insurance sites
Whether you are travelling on business or a family holiday, travel insurance is essential. Even if you are travelling to an EC country with an European E111 or the new ECard, you are only covered for basic medical services unless you have travel insurance. You should use these sites to shop around for the best prices. You should be able to book online and receive your policy by e-mail or post. Some travel insurance sites offer you a generous discount if you buy online. There are a number of different types of insurance, to suit your choice of activity and frequency of travel. To see travel insurance sites of a suitable type, click on the insurance type on the left.
You may want to check out our Guidance notes about travel insurance if this is the first time that you have bought travel insurance online.
Guidance notes about travel insurance
Travel insurance is a must for every traveller, whether travelling on business or a holiday. Even if you are travelling to an EC country with an European E111 or the new ECard, you are only covered for basic medical services unless you have travel insurance. Make sure you are covered before you travel, and check the policy covers you before you buy.
Travel insurance comes in many forms:
- Single trip travel insurance covers you for one single trip with a maximum number of days (check the policy)
- Annual multi trip travel insurance lets you travel as many times as you wish within the 12 month period. Winter sports may be an optional extra on these policies.
- Winter sports travel insurance and Ski Insurance cover you for activities such as skiing and snowboarding. These insurance policies should includes piste closure and off piste skiing.
- Backpackers or long stay travel insurance These can cover you for a single trip of several months.
- Business travel insurance can cover you for loss of business, loss of business documents etc. as well as the cover provided by normal policies.
- Activity Holiday Insurance covers you when you are taking part in activities that are normally classed as hazardous and may not be covered by other types of insurance.
You should also beware of these rules before buying your travel Insurance.
- Check that your policy covers the following: medical and health cover, cancellation, loss of personal effects and baggage, business cover (if you are travelling on business). Most sites let you view a copy of the policy document or a table of benefits so you should check these out before buying your travel Insurance.
- Some insurers do not cover older travellers or anyone with a pre-existing medical condition so check before buying your travel Insurance.
- Some activities can be classified as "Hazardous activities" and may require an additional charge.
To find out more about specific types of travel insurance, use the list of different insurance types below.
- Activity Holiday Insurance
- Annual Travel Insurance
- Backpacker Insurance
- Business Travel Insurance
- Family Travel Insurance
- Holiday Insurance
- Holiday Cancellation Insurance
- Holiday Car Breakdown Insurance
- Long Stay Travel Insurance
- Multi Trip Travel Insurance
- Single Trip Insurance
- Ski Insurance
- Travel Accident Insurance
- Winter Sports Insurance
- UK Holiday Insurance