cheap travel insurance

UK Travel & Holidays Insurance

European E111 or the new ECard

  1. UK Information
  2. UK travel
  3. Travel Insurance
  4. European ECard

European E111 or the new ECard

On the 1st September 2005, the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) was introduced as the replacement to the E111 form.

Unlike the E111 form, each traveller (including children) must hold an individual EHIC This new European Health Card the EHIC entitles UK residents travelling in Europe to free or reduced-cost, state-provided medical care in these European countries:

  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Cyprus
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • Italy
  • Latvia
  • Liechtenstein
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Malta
  • The Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland

The EHIC is free of charge. Travellers can apply for an EHIC online from the Department of Health web site. You can also get the application from a post office.

The EHIC is not a substitute for travel insurance. Travellers should always get both. There are some things the EHIC does not cover, such as repatriation, of course the EHIC does not cover for cancellation, loss of personal possessions, delay, loss of documents, liability and legal representations.

The EHIC Card is for Emergency Medical Treatment only that is sought in State Run (not private) medical care facilities within the above listed member countries, which will be supplied for free or at a reduced rate to UK nationals with a valid card EHIC


For more information, visit or call the partner helpline on 0207 866 7791.