Windsor Championship Dog Show
|Date||Thursday 30th June 2011 to Sunday 3rd July 2011|
|Web links||Related link|
The show was held for the first time in the green parkland of Home Park, Windsor, in 1951 and since then has been held at the same venue in July each year. The proximity of Windsor to London and Heathrow adds to the show's popularity. The first sponsor of the event was the Windsor Gundog Society whose chairman, Dr. Edwards, held the office till 1952. After her departure the Earl of Northesk took over the championships. The event gained in popularity from the time of its inception but the early success of the championship was dampened by the incurrence of financial losses. The championship received patronage from Her Majesty the Queen in 1956, which further lent to its recognition. Dr. Esther Rickards, who was promoted to Vice-President of The Windsor Championship Show in 1962, also played a creditable role in ensuring that the show transformed into a successful event. Also in 1962 the decision was made to separate the Championship Show and the Windsor Gundog Shows, each with their own individual administrative committees. The Windsor Championship Dog show was initially a two- day show, which was extended to a three-day event in 1973. The Queen gave up her patronage in 2000.
With Windsor Castle as a backdrop, complimenting the exhilarating visual experience, the show now attracts about 14,000 canine enthusiasts each year. A distinctive feature of the show is the wearing of 'pink jackets' by the committee members.
The growing popularity of the show has meant that proper arrangements have needed to be made to manage the deluge of traffic that descends on the event. This pressing problem led to its radical overhaul in 2007 and a new layout was established. It was also in this year that the show became a four-day event.
With ice cream stalls offering their mouth-watering fare to keep visitors cool in the scorching sun the Windsor Championship Dog Show has all the attractions of a family event.