Wimbledon Tennis Championships
History of the Wimbledon Tennis Championships
The first Wimbledon tennis meeting in 1877 was at a ground near Worple Road, Wimbledon, organised by the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club. It attracted a few hundred spectators. The Wimbledon Championships moved to their present location, at a ground near Church Road, in 1922.
The Wimbledon Lawn Tennis Championship has grown from a few hundred spectators watching a tournament between amateur men. Wimbledon now attracts half a million visitors and millions of fans worldwide with professional contestants from around the world.